An outer space adventure for young adults coming of age, Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman was a fun read. Having just graduated from the Aurora Academy, Tyler Jones is stuck with a ragtag group of misfits after missing the opportunity to have first pick of the best of the best while rescuing Aurora from cryo-sleep on a ship long since thought destroyed and gone. This is where the mystery unfolds. Who is Aurora? What happened to her shipmates? What happened to the colony she was travelling towards? And why is the GIA (think the space version of the CIA) out to destroy everything and everyone associated with the colony “that never existed?”
Personally, I loved the audiobook version. The cast of characters were amazing and brought the book to life. Unfortunately if you’ve watched the movie Serenity, the book was pretty predictable. However, I wouldn’t mind finishing the series to watch the rest of the love story between Auri and her alien warrior unfold, and find out more about the ancient race that has left Aurora to clean up the threat to the galaxy.
· “Tomorrow is worth a million yesterdays.”
· “The mere sight of her is water in an endless desert.”
· “Who wants to be normal when you can be interesting instead? - Scar”
· “Do moons choose the planets they orbit? Do planets choose their stars? Who am I to deny gravity, Aurora? When you shine brighter than an constellation in the sky?”
· Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Welles
· Sirens of Titans – Kurt Vonnegut
· The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
My rating 3.5 out of 5 stars:
I would give it 3 out of 5 for the overall story, and 4 out of 5 for the Audiobook – It was awesome!